Ainsworth Accountants: Accounts, Tax and Business Advisors.

Accounting and Tax Service for UK Physiotherapists

Accounting and Tax Services for UK Physiotherapists

Please visit our new Healthcare Accounting & Tax website.

Ainsworth Accountants provide a full range of Accounting and Tax Services to UK Physiotherapists.

Our services are for sole practitioners, locum, associate and contracting Physiotherapists.

We particularly welcome newly qualified practitioners and offer lots of guidance through the important early days of setting up the business correctly.

As you will have the dual role of looking after your patients and running your small business, we will take the burden of the accounting and tax responsibilities.

Please click the links in the yellow box on the right for our fees.

As a Physiotherapist your business will be as Self Employed or as a Limited Company.

Self Employment Information

We will prepare your accounts and file your Self Assessment with HMRC.

Our fees for the preparation and filing a Tax Return for Self Employed healthcare practitioners are from £40.00 per month, concurrent with the tax year, so from May to April following. Discount is available for newly qualified and new to practice. Fees may vary if your income is more complex, eg. investments and property letting.

We offer a free spreadsheet for bookkeeping, however we find that most people require training for the first two or three months.

We offer one hour free training arrangement, which includes email and telephone training.

For basic transactions, eg. your fee invoices and expense claims, the additional bookkeeping service is unlikely to be necessary after the first few months.

A Self Employed health professional files accounts and Tax Returns by Self Assessment, paying Income Tax on the business profits, and usually also Class 2 National Insurance and Class 4 National Insurance.

For a Sole Trader, there is no legal distinction between the owner of the business and the business itself. A Sole Trader is not an employee of the business.

The Sole Trader is entitled to keep the profits of the business, after paying any tax, but a Sole Trader has unlimited liability for the debts of the business.

The potential taxes include:

Income Tax
Class 2 National Insurance
Class 4 National Insurance
PAYE (only if you employ staff)

Please note also that Self Employed people pay Student Loan repayments through the Self Assessment Tax Return process.

The HMRC Tax Payments On Account will also usually apply to healthcare practitioners.

Limited Company or Self Employed?

The differences between being Self Employed/Sole Trader and a Limited Company are explained in this website.

If you are recently qualified, or currently registered as Self-Employed, and are considering whether you should practice as a Limited Company, please see our guide Sole Trader or Limited Company ? which explains many of the differences between them.

Limited Company Information

We will form a Limited Company for you, free of charge, and complete the registrations with Companies House and HMRC. This is subject to the condition of an annual contract to include Accounts & Tax filing, PAYE and Self Assessment, and the first instalment being paid in advance.

We will also supply you with our free spreadsheet to record your fees and expenses, which produces a Profit & Loss Account and Trial Balance and a running estimate of Corporation Tax payable.

We also provide bookkeeping training and support - please see below.

During the year we will process your salary and dividend payments, and at the Year End we will file your company accounts and tax, and your personal Self Assessment.

Our website includes information on:

Limited Company Formation
Limited Company Accounts
Corporation Tax
Self Assessment
Income Tax
PAYE Guide and Payroll Service & Software Options

Bookkeeping Training & Support - Limited Companies

We offer a free spreadsheet for bookkeeping, however we find that most people require training in the first year.

The spreadsheet produces a Profit & Loss Account and Balance Sheet with an estimated Corporation Tax liability.

The monthly plan includes bookkeeping support, but not training. Typically we find that clients are able to keep good records, but will need training in the first year.

We offer a block 5 hour training arrangement for £50.00, which includes email and telephone training.

For basic transactions, eg. your fee invoices and expense claims, the additional bookkeeping training is unlikely to be necessary after the first year.

If we do all the bookkeeping for you, it will be on the HMRC and ICAEW approved QuickBooks software, and we will supply you with the reports which you need.

If you would like to keep your own records on the popular online software, eg. QuickBooks Online or FreeAgent, we can set this up for you and invoice you directly.

Software & Apps

With the right software, a considerable amount of the accounting and administration burden can be eased.

The new breed of online accounting software, together with additional apps, are available on PC, Mac, tablet and smart phone, enabling online access to update your records, raise sales invoices, check reports, file VAT Returns and manage PAYE/Payroll.

We support both FreeAgent and QuickBooks Online

We also offer a free spreadsheet already set up for your record keeping.

Thanks for visiting.
If you need further help
please call us:
07986 381123
0845 250 0515
9:00am to 5:00pm

Special Offer to
Graduates and Newly Qualified

Discount on accounting fees for the
first year of business
for Self Employed

Link to Accounting Fees

Paul Ainsworth is a Chartered Accountant from a healthcare practice family.

Paul's grandfather and uncles were Osteopaths and Naturopaths.

We understand the contractual arrangements, together with the accounting and tax implications for independent practitioners.

We will help you through the accounting, bookkeeping and tax stages of setting up your practice, either as a Limited Company or Self-Employed.

We will file your accounts and tax returns in good time.

Our Typical Monthly Fees for Self Employed Healthcare Professionals
We are not VAT registered

Typical Monthly Fees
June to May


Self Employed Accounts
 Preparation of Accounts
 from your well kept records

Self Assessment
 Filing Self Assessment
 with HMRC (1)


Free accounting spreadsheet - no need for online accounting software

Note: Presuming no other complex income eg. property letting

Online Software

Additional Bookkeeping Services
 From (per hour)


Our Typical Monthly Fees for a
Healthcare Professional Limited Company
We are not VAT Registered

Estimate based on one Shareholder / Director

Typical Monthly Fees


Statutory Accounts & Corporation Tax
 Preparation and filing
 Based on well kept records

PAYE / Payroll
 Monthly RTI
 Final Y/E submission
 One person

Dividend Accounting & Legal
 Completion of Dividend
 and legal requirements

Self Assessment
  Salary and Dividend
  Planning (note 1)


Note 1: Based on
Single shareholder/director
UK Tax Returns

Additional Director / Shareholder   30.00

Online Software

Additional Bookkeeping Services
 From (per hour)